Board index Trinity Technical Discussion Trinity Dodge Gas Solution for knock prone Hemis?

Solution for knock prone Hemis?

Post questions about your Trinity for your Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler vehicles here.

Moderators: mikel, Vas@Diablosport, JonDiablosport

Post Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:23 pm

I've been thinking about this, do you think E85 could be the solution to the knocking issue Hemis have? Obviously not pure E85, but like an E30 mix? Would the tunes be able to recognize it and adapt?

This came to my head because its what I've doing with the BMW. On pump E10 the tune allows 6psi over stock boost. But using E30, I'm able to run an extra 5 over that (I hit 21psi yesterday), and still have virtually zero timing being pulled. And if the high pressure fuel pump could handle it, I bet I could even go higher with E40.

Not sure if it would work with the port injected, naturally aspirated Hemi the same way as it does on the direct injected, turbo 6 I have, but it sure seems like it would be worth a try.
You can't PM me, so don't even try. I am not employed by DS & can't help you. :p
2015 BMW 335i xDrive Gran Turismo MPPK FBO.
Looking for a back-end tune so I can get a bigger turbo

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:46 am

well, you are seeing the results of the add octane of the E blend, plus ethanols natural resistance to knock.
E85 is almost always a cure for the KR blues if available and fuel system capacity is there.

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:51 pm

Is the capacity there on the Hemis and will the tunes adapt is the question? If both are "yes", then the KR problem may no longer be a problem for people able to get E85.
You can't PM me, so don't even try. I am not employed by DS & can't help you. :p

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:57 pm

No, they are not flex fuel so they wont adapt on their own, at stock power level the fuel system will be enough with a custom tune but the modded guys will need to have an upgraded fuel pump/lines/injectors.

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:19 pm

Hummm..... Mine isn't Flex fuel either, but it adapts. Wonder why and how........ I know it has an ethanol sensor, so that may have something to do with it.

I still don't understand why the manufacturers leave so little reserve in their fuel systems. It seems like every car I work on needs fuel system mods to keep up (Jeep SRT8, CTS-V, A6, 335).

Return to Trinity Dodge Gas