Board index Trinity Technical Discussion Trinity Dodge Gas Trouble with 2008 Charger R/T

Trouble with 2008 Charger R/T

Post questions about your Trinity for your Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler vehicles here.

Moderators: mikel, Vas@Diablosport, JonDiablosport

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:05 pm

Just bought a 2008 Charger R/T (5.7 Hemi, Air Raid CAI, Exhaust) and it had a Diablo tune but the dealer had no info as to the type of tune or model of Diablo Sport used. Best guess it was a Predator. The car ran okay but with no backup of the PCM and no way to do anything with the tune, I took it to a Dodge dealer and had the PCM re-flashed for $105. The dealer reported the re-flash went fine but the car would barely idle and then stall. It would start back up and do the same thing. I went to the dealer with my new T1000 with all the updates and after connecting it to the car got a message about downgrading from 68045991AD to 68045991AC. I used the DS Downloader and ran the Calibration Updater. That ran fine and I updated the PCM and was then able to backup the factory image and install the 93 octane CAI tune. Exact same issue after loading the new tune.

Kind of frustrated now and wondering if I am missing something or if something was done with the previous tune that screwed things up or if it was masking another issue. To my knowledge the rest of the motor is stock (throttle body, etc.) but I don't know for sure. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:52 am

sounds to me like it has a cam in it, maybe?

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:37 am

Hi Mike,

Not sure. The dealer I bought it from knew very little about any mods that were done before I bought it. If it had a previous Diablo tune, could he have tweaked the tune for the cam? Still runs poorly with the 93 CAI tune. It ran okay before the dealer PCM flash. I sort of ruled out cam or crankshaft position sensors as it ran fine just prior to the reflash.

Thanks,
Tod

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:24 pm

Yes,,a cam swap will require a custom tune to run properly.

I would guess it would be pretty easy to tell if it has a cam though....

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:31 pm

yo Todd. Try and raise the idle 100 rpms and see if it will stay running.
Yes you do need a custom tune, But I ran a Sparton cam and 3000 stall TC on the 93 CAI tune and raised Idle for four days.
I did this because I Upgraded both the tool and the factory via diablo, and I didn't know that my custom tune would no longer work. The canned tunes were fine I sent my new backup to Johan and he squared me away with a new, matching CMR tune.

hope this helps

Return to Trinity Dodge Gas