Board index Predator Technical Discussion Predator GM Gas U7198 Question

U7198 Question

Predator support for GM gas vehicles

Moderators: mikel, 06MonteSS, Vas@Diablosport, JonDiablosport

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:11 pm

After installing the performance tune it is possible to further modify timing and fuel. How can you make those modifications intelligently and safely? For example, how do you know if it is desirable to enrichen the mixture from where it was set by the performance tune?

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:59 pm

you'll need to do some data monitoring to see where your ltft's are at during normal driving/cruise, and also where they lock in at WOT... so you'll need to do a couple WOT runs too. If you don't have a wideband, we'll also need to see where your stock O2 sensor readings are at, so that you can at least get dialed into a safe range.

you'll want to monitor:

engine speed
long term fuel trim bank 1 and bank 2
oxygen sensor voltage bank 1 sensor 1, and bank 2 sensor 1
short term fuel trim bank 1 and bank 2
total knock spark retard
vehicle speed
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:37 pm

Your best bet would be to use a dyno with a wideband to monitor A/F and use the Predator to watch timing. These cars generally do not like too much timing, but you may find a bit of power by getting the A/F dialed in.

Thanks

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:30 am

06MonteSS wrote:
you'll need to do some data monitoring to see where your ltft's are at during normal driving/cruise, and also where they lock in at WOT... so you'll need to do a couple WOT runs too. If you don't have a wideband, we'll also need to see where your stock O2 sensor readings are at, so that you can at least get dialed into a safe range.

you'll want to monitor:

engine speed
long term fuel trim bank 1 and bank 2
oxygen sensor voltage bank 1 sensor 1, and bank 2 sensor 1
short term fuel trim bank 1 and bank 2
total knock spark retard
vehicle speed

Thanks, 06MonteSS. That tells me what numbers to collect. I was hoping to find acceptable parameters so that I would know if increase or decrease was called for without having to ask a bunch of further questions. I guess either I'm not asking the question the right way, or no parameters are available, or there is some other factor of which I am unaware. I ordered my U7198 yesterday.

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:34 am

mikel wrote:
Your best bet would be to use a dyno with a wideband to monitor A/F and use the Predator to watch timing. These cars generally do not like too much timing, but you may find a bit of power by getting the A/F dialed in.

Thanks

I ordered a U7198 yesterday instead of getting a dyno tune. I was hoping to find acceptable parameters so that I would know if increase or decrease was called for after installing the performance tune without having to ask a bunch of further questions. I guess either I'm not asking the question the right way, or no parameters are available, or there is some other factor of which I am unaware.

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:39 am

if you log those parameters, we can go by the numbers in the log that it generates and be able to tell if you need to increase/decrease anything...

get a couple logs done first, then we can take a look at it... I don't want to just throw out a generic broad range of what certain settings can or should be... we need to see what your vehicle is doing...
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:07 am

06MonteSS wrote:
if you log those parameters, we can go by the numbers in the log that it generates and be able to tell if you need to increase/decrease anything...

get a couple logs done first, then we can take a look at it... I don't want to just throw out a generic broad range of what certain settings can or should be... we need to see what your vehicle is doing...

Roger that. Thanks, SS. I was just trying in advance to cut down on the back and forth, question and answer.
2002 Camaro B4C (same as Z28 with LS6 Intake)
SLP 350hp Performance Pac including:
Cold Air Induction, Air Box Lid, Blackwing Air Filter, Smooth Bellow, and Loudmouth Catback.
Descreened MAF, Predator U7198 R2.13

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:19 am

feel free to email me offline if you have any questions... while I don't have the same car/setup as you, I can check out your logs and let'cha know of any adjustments to make to get you in line... lewis.eaton at gmail.com

is your Predator model able to save out the logs to your PC?? did you get the PC Interface Kit (power adaptor and serial cable)??

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:03 pm

Sorry guys, this tool does not log...only live data.

Thanks
Mike

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:10 pm

well, there goes that idea :lol:

you're gonna have to have someone ride with ya then while you log, and have them write down the numbers then... bummer...

well, for ranges then... for your ltft's, you want to be between -2% to +2% during cruise/normal driving (while being at least at 20-25% throttle) - and they should lock at 0 when you go WOT.

at WOT, your O2 readings should be around .88xx to .91xx to be safe until you can check the a/f ratio with a wideband.

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:31 am

06MonteSS wrote:

you're gonna have to have someone ride with ya then while you log, and have them write down the numbers then... bummer...

well, for ranges then... for your ltft's, you want to be between -2% to +2% during cruise/normal driving (while being at least at 20-25% throttle) - and they should lock at 0 when you go WOT.

at WOT, your O2 readings should be around .88xx to .91xx to be safe until you can check the a/f ratio with a wideband.

Those are exactly the parameters I was trying to get. Thanks a lot, SS. I'll get back to you after I (hand) log some numbers.
Cold Air Induction, Air Box Lid, Blackwing Air Filter, Smooth Bellow, and Loudmouth Catback.

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:46 am

06MonteSS wrote:

Those are exactly the parameters I was trying to get. Thanks a lot, SS. I'll get back to you after I (hand) log some numbers.

Return to Predator GM Gas