Board index Predator Technical Discussion Predator GM Gas Unlocking my U7198

Unlocking my U7198

Predator support for GM gas vehicles

Moderators: mikel, 06MonteSS, Vas@Diablosport, JonDiablosport

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:58 pm

I sold the Tahoe I was using this on (2002 w/ 5.3l) and want to be able to use this on my buddy's 2000 TransAm. It's saying it can't back up the original tune giving an error code of "Unit 1: error unlock".

The buyers of the Tahoe didn't want the tuner. I reinstalled the factory tune, got it smogged, & handed it over. The tuner should be free to use with another vehicle... right?

Thanks!

Josh

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:01 pm

nope, not if it's an old 1.xx or 2.xx revision number.. it won't unlock no matter what..

you should trade it in to diablosport and get the $100 discount on getting a new inTune from them.. cuz predator's are all dead and gone anyway, they were all discontinued over 4 years ago now...
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:58 pm

It's v.9r17, so it should have worked, right? The "Last Tune Written" screen says "Original Backup".

Thanks

Post Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:20 am

if you did the restore process, yes it would have unlocked/reset...

could be an issue with your buddy's pcm not being able to be read...
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Post Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:16 pm

So when I open the "Last Tune Written" screen, this is what it says:

This means the tuner is unlocked... right?

There are a couple DTC's on his ECM. He removed his EGR valve & rear O2 sensors, so those are throwing codes. It's also giving a "Random Misfire" DTC as well. Would the the presence of DTC's keep the tuner from backing up the factory tune?

Again, it's a 2000 Pontiac Trans-Am with the 5.7l LS1 engine. It should be compatible with the U7198, right?

Post Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:56 pm

if you press OK, does it go to the options menu or display a VIN?

Post Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:33 pm

I'm pretty sure it went back to the options menu... but I'll double check. Would those DTC's keep it from progressing with the tune?

Return to Predator GM Gas