Board index Predator Technical Discussion Predator GM Gas adjust downshift behavior?

adjust downshift behavior?

Predator support for GM gas vehicles

Moderators: mikel, 06MonteSS, Vas@Diablosport, JonDiablosport

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:37 pm

I'm struggling with getting my downshifting to function how I'd like.

I've got an 03 Avalanche, so my predator is a U7193. The only parameter I have that should affect this is called "Downshift MPH." I had the 3->2 Tow/Haul value set to 62.98MPH. I also tried values greater than, and less than that. Regardless of what I do, if I am cruising along at 65mph, I have to let it slow to 54mph before the transmission will drop a gear. I'm adjusting the tow/haul value as I often tap the Tow/Haul button before climbing a hill to help maintain speed. If I get this figured out I may adjust the Normal parameters so I don't feel like I need to tap the Tow/Haul button to negotiate hills.

Does anyone have any pointers? I'm wondering if I'm not headed toward a custom tune to help out with this... Or an intune...
2003 Avalanche
K&N Drop in filter
Case Saver in the transfer case
DiabloSport Predator
Corvette Servo
Addco 007 Swaybar links
Magnaflow 12590
Amber DRL's

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:06 am

shift points usually have to hit both a MPH AND an RPM value before it will allow the shift....

so lower the shift point RPM as well...
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:11 am

Thanks Lew,
You probably noticed this nearly identical post on the avalanche forum. You sufficiently answered my questions there. Now the burden is on me to decide if this annoyance is worth the cost of a custom tune or not. If I added electric fans or something else that also required a custom tune I could maybe justify it. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with how things are going, aside from the upshifts. Been getting 18mpg on a couple tanks, 16mpg when I run the A/C all the time. Dialing in the LTFT's made a big difference there.
2003 Avalanche
K&N Drop in filter
Case Saver in the transfer case
DiabloSport Predator
Corvette Servo
Addco 007 Swaybar links
Magnaflow 12590
Amber DRL's

Return to Predator GM Gas