Board index Predator Technical Discussion Predator GM Gas GTO & G8 Special Note

GTO & G8 Special Note

Predator support for GM gas vehicles

Moderators: mikel, 06MonteSS, Vas@Diablosport, JonDiablosport

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:11 am

I've just gone through a very frustrating and costly experience that is probably more likely to occur with either a GTO or G8. Note that it was not due to any failure of the Predator or DiabloSport support. The Predator instructions are very clear and the suggestions to properly backup your factory tune and reinstall it before going to the dealer are there for all of us to read. What I missed was the fact the dealer had also changed the BCM (Body Control Module) / PIM and ECM (Engine Control Module) / PIM security code when I purchased a new ignition key a few months ago. I had not asked for work to be done on the engine and did not think about any changes to the ECM security code as I had been told I could have new keys, but the key code would not be changed.
After making a couple of changes to my GTO, I went out, logged data, and proceded to install a modified Diablo tune which was based upon a factory tune that had been voided by the security code change.
DiabloSport was great and MikeL patiently worked with me to reload a factory ECM tune and reset the Predator. However, the security code change kept the ECM from communicating with the Body Control Module where the starter system, etc. is controlled.
Bottom line the GTO and G8 don't get a simple ECM reflash when problems occur. Per the service tech that figured this out, These two vehicles are unique because the body was built in Australia with body functions tested independtly and then the engine which was set up with a separate ECM is installed. There is actually another component which is required to allow these two systems to talk to each other. None of these inter-computer processes happens without a valid, synched GM security code for all.
None of this should affect tuning with the Predator if you are working with a backed up, valid factory tune. If you go to the dealer and plan to walk away from your vehicle while any service is performed, make sure that you have reinstalled your factory tune first. Afterwards, check to make sure your Predator device recognizes your vehicle. If not, talk to DiabloSport. They will work with you to reset your Predator and your next recording of the factory tune will include the updated inter module security codes.
If you drive a GTO or G8 I suggest you read the Predator instructions and suggestions twice and treat every service visit as a potential for getting a factory reflash or module to module security code change. (ECM factory reflash: $99.00. GTO or G8 BCM/PIM and ECM/PIM reflash and synch with GM computer link $168.99. Plus towing).

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:53 am

Good to know :)

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:39 am

Just one more comment on customer support. I work as a quality director for several plants which distribute product all across North America. I am using the DiabloSport response to my problem as an example to my team of what customer support should be.
I spoke with Mikel and was given an RMA (returned material authorization). I sent the Predator and ECM out on Monday night. Both were examined and reset the next day and shipped back to me. I had the returned, reset units delivered to my home on Wednesday, less than 48 hours later.
I'll recognise that UPS did their part, but DiabloSport's customer focus was outstanding.

Again, thanks Mikel for your outstanding support. You've raised the bar for my team.

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:26 pm

I'm glad we could help, let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks

Return to Predator GM Gas