Board index Predator Technical Discussion Predator GM Gas Odd problem with 02 Sierra and 93 Performance tune

Odd problem with 02 Sierra and 93 Performance tune

Predator support for GM gas vehicles

Moderators: mikel, 06MonteSS, Vas@Diablosport, JonDiablosport

SO I have an old predator, Software version 2.10, hardware version 1.01. I cant seem to figure out what model number it is but it was purchased from SLP back in 3/05.
Until now I used it on my 02 Sierra 1500 5.3L but only with a modified stock tune to remove the speed limiter and to change the horrible shift time and part throttle shift.
Well today I finally installed the performance 93 tune and I was hoping to enjoy some more power. Unfortunatley im having a problem with the instrument cluster now and the power door locks. Let me explain but first let me say that when I return the truck to stock tune the problem goes away so I know for a fact it has something to do with the tune. Its kinda hard to explain but here goes;

The issue in the instrument cluster is with where the display shows what gear you are in. With the performance tune installed, when the truck is shifted into neutral it does not highlight neutral while at the same time unlocking the doors which it is not supposed to do. Its almost like it thinks its in park but it is only supposed to unlock the doors in park, not neutral. Additionally shifting into reverse seems to lag in the display taking a few seconds to highlight reverse after it has already been shifter physically into reverse and the truck is already in gear. The wierdest thing is shifting from drive to neutral, it goes from having drive highlighted to very quickly highlighting neutral then reverse then park but none of them stay highlighted...but physically the shifter is still on neutral. All of the other gears are ok...shifting from drive down to 3, 2, 1, and back up from 1, 2, 3, D works fine.

Obviously what the display is showing is tied to the door locks, which are both contriolled by the ECM. Again everything seems to stem from the performance 93 tune being installed. Once I restore the factory tune all these issues disappear and the truck display and door lock functions go back to normal. I can modify the stock tune and everything is still ok it just seems to have an issue with the performance tune.

Do any one of you guys from Diablo know what is going on here? I live 20 miles from Delray so if it helps to see this happening in person its not an issue for me to drive up there.

odd.. never heard of that issue with them before... could be something buggy in that old predator... but it won't be fixed, since all predators are dead and gone.. all were discontinued a year ago or more...

after you install the performance tune and you start it up, and that happens... then, turn off the truck and disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery for about 20 minutes.. then reconnect it and start it up.. see if the issue is still there...
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Thanks I will give that a shot

Monte,

I finally got a chance to try what you suggested but no go. It is still there...same problem. It does it with both the 93 performance tune and the 87 performance tune, but again if I choose modify stock tune its fine and everything works as it should.
This really sucks....do you have any other suggestions? I don't have the money to buy another tuner now, I just purchased a intune for my 09 Silverado back in February of this year.

I've seen that similar problem before. Didn't have a tuner involved although it was hit or miss. Worked properly sometimes and somedays just go haywire. Check all the connections on your neutral safety switch on the left side of transmission (driver side) Also check the bolts and whatnot that hold it on. Along with shift linkage. There's also a ground on the frame rail on the driver side right In front the driver door. Make sure it's getting good contact. Take it off and pass a wire brush on the ring terminal and the frame rail... This is Also the same ground for your abs system and a few other things ( don't remember off top my head)

Worth a shot to try :)

Good luck

Egoresb wrote:
I've seen that similar problem before. Didn't have a tuner involved although it was hit or miss. Worked properly sometimes and somedays just go haywire. Check all the connections on your neutral safety switch on the left side of transmission (driver side) Also check the bolts and whatnot that hold it on. Along with shift linkage. There's also a ground on the frame rail on the driver side right In front the driver door. Make sure it's getting good contact. Take it off and pass a wire brush on the ring terminal and the frame rail... This is Also the same ground for your abs system and a few other things ( don't remember off top my head)

Worth a shot to try :)

Good luck

thanks for the response Egor. I thought of this also but it wouldn't explain it only happening when I install a performance tune, happens constantly without even once acting normal but the second I uninstall the performance tunes it goes back to behaving correctly. Likewise I never, not once have the problem again untill I reinstall a performance tune.
Also I tried my new intune that I bought for my 09 Silverado on the 02 Sierra and it works fine, doesnt have the issue I mentioned above at all when installing a performance tune from the intune. So it tells me that either the predator tuner or the tune itself is the culprit. But then again, I can modify the stock tune all I want with the predator and dont get the issue so that really makes me think it is the predator performance tunes that are corrupt and not the predator tuner.

Well I never had a predator so it may be the issue. Especially since your intune doesnt bring the problems back.Maybe try and see if you have the last updates they put out for it. Being outdated might be hard. Predators don't have tcm tuning abilities so that's odd it's changing any sensors output on the tranny. But then again it's a computer so who knows :p like brain surgery to me sometimes.

yeah, may be something funky between your truck and a tune setting in those olllllllld predator tunes or predator itself.... since now you know the intune works fine on it...

only option really is to trade it in towards the purchase of another inTune... because there will be no fix for that predator, since they're all long gone/discontinued over a year ago now...

diablosport will give you a $100 credit towards the purchase of an inTune from them....
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

It being old and having an old tune should not matter. Both the truck and the tuner are from 2002 unless something got corrupted in the predator. $100 is nice credit but that still leaves me with having to shell out $250+ and I just can't swing it now.

Return to Predator GM Gas